FTS – Welcome to the Friends of Thornford School
Thornford School is so proud of the highly supportive parental involvement with our school and welcome any parent / carer to join our friendly, sociable committee.
The FTS requires volunteers to help prepare for and to man events in order to raise funds – every single penny goes to the school for the next exciting project! If you are able to help out it would be much appreciated, so please contact either Nicola Walsh (FTS Chair) in person or join our Friends of Thornford School Facebook page. Alternatively please feel free to speak to the school office -every little helps!
Even if you are unable to join the committee please support the events arranged by the FTS, as the more money we raise the more projects we can support!
FTS – Who Are They?
The PTA (parent, teacher association) for the school. A committee of willing, helpful parents, carers and teachers.
What Do They Do ?
Organise fundraising events for the school to fund those things that in a climate of ever increasing budget cuts the school cannot fund.
What Sort of Events Do They Organise ?
- School Discos – (Autumn (19 October 2018) and Spring (8 February 2019))
- Christmas (7 December 2018) and Summer (5 July 2019) Fayres
- Bingo (22 March 2019)
- Sponsored Events, e.g. mufti days tbc
- Easter Bonnet Competition for KS2 and Easter Egg Colouring Competition for KS1, Easter Competition Easter Comp FTS easter egg template
- coffee mornings (every other Friday from 21 September 2018)
We’ll be letting you know about events coming up to raise funds.
What do They Do With The Funds Raised
All funds raised are used to purchase items or pay towards educational experiences that will enhance your child’s educational journey. Examples of the items that have been purchased for the school from funds are;
- an ipod docking station and sound mixer to use for plays and productions.
- a contribution towards visiting productions and Life Van
- a bike rack and additional reception trikes
- a contribution to outside classroom and new canopies
- a contribution to external walkway/external play equipment
This year it will fund
- improvements to KS1 play area
- KS2 play area repairs
- Acorn class (Reception) new books
- sports equipment
- Mural/s for Acorn play area
- Pencil cases for Oak class
- Mad Science visit
- a Christmas play
On an ongoing basis the FTS continues to subsidise school trips and Year 6 hoodies. It also provides a post SATS lunch for year 6, along with the school Easter Egg hunt and class Christmas gifts and crackers.
What Does a Committee Member do?
Help organise events, Help at fundraising events, attend a meeting approximately once every 6 weeks.
Why Become a Committee Member ?
To meet other parents and make new friends, learn more about your child’s journey through the school, maintain the wonderful community feel of this lovely village school, help to enhance your child’s school experience.
Who Can Become a Member?
Any parent, carer or teacher– no qualifications required, just enthusiasm, a willingness to help and the ability to give a little time from your busy schedule. It’s always to easy to leave it to someone else and say you don’t have time however the more members and helpers that come forward the easier it is for everyone.